This block is all too common, especially for Westerners. The dominant culture places much pressure on us to be perfectly successful, to have it all, and perform all the time.
As a result of constantly striving for getting things exactly right all the time, we are at great risk of becoming frozen and blocked.
How do you know if your perfectionism is blocking you? Listed here are many of the characteristics that stifle your creativity. You may recognize some of them.
- You always feel that whatever creative project you do, it’s never good enough
- You fear judgement of othersYou fear that others may think you are foolish, so you don’t start or finish your project,
- You compare yourself to others, and feel you don’t measure up (This trait is exasperated by social media)
- If you don’t get it exactly right, you view it as a failure
- You set high expectations (perfectly organized, pristine house, perfect landscaping) and pressure yourself to reach these standards
- There is little joy in your creative pursuits.
What I try to help with, are the ways to recognize this block and the tools and techniques to move forward and find joy, glee, and discovery; instead of stifling perfectionism.